Durban is the largest city in the South African province of KwaZulu-Natal. It is also the third largest city in South Africa after Johannesburg and Cape Town. It forms part of the eThekwini metropolitan municipality. Durban is famous for being the busiest port in South Africa. It is also seen as one of the major centres of tourism because of the city's warm subtropical climate and extensive beaches. The municipality, which includes neighbouring towns, has a population of almost 3.5 million, making the combined municipality the biggest city on the east coast of the African continent. The metropolitan land area of 2,292 square kilometres is comparatively larger than other South African cities, resulting in a somewhat lower population density of 1,513 km2.
Geography and climate Durban
Durban has a humid subtropical climate with hot and humid summers and pleasantly warm and dry winters, which are frost-free. Durban has an annual rainfall of 1,009 millimetres The average temperature in summer ranges around 28 °C while in winter the average temperature is 20 °C. Sunrise in Durban on summer solstice occurs at 04h45 and sunset at 19h00 on winter solstice sunrise is at 06h30 and sunset at 17h20.
The rainy season is in summer which begins sometime in November, ending in mid-April. Summers are sunny, hot and humid during the day, but are relieved by afternoon or evening thunderstorms. The city is also occasionally affected by tropical storms and cyclones during the cyclone season which is from 15 November to 30 April. Winters, which are from June to August, are generally warm and sunny. Durban and its suburbs are hilly, except for locations in and around the central business district and the harbour.
What to do and see in Durban
• Durban Botanical Gardens: Visit on a Saturday and see a mixture of Cultural weddings all having their photos taken.
• Berea: This is a long ridge overlooking the harbor, city center and beaches. Once covered with coastal forest, it is now completely built up.
• The Golden Mile The Golden Mile: the nickname for the beaches near downtown that stretch along the Indian Ocean, is well known for it's excellent surfing, occasional shark attack and wide sandy beaches.
• Crocodile Creek: In the ‘sugar town’ of Tongaat (just a few miles past Umhlanga) you will find Crocodile Creek, on the Tongaat river in sub-tropical bush. This creek is home to over 7000 Nile Crocodiles, Alligators, Caiman, snakes and other reptiles.
• Meditate: Mahasiddha Kadampa Buddhist Centre, 2 Hollings Road, Malvern: Offers relaxation meditations and meditation classes to increase inner peace.
• Watersports: Swim, surf, canoe, snorkel, dive.
• Calypso Dive & Adventure Center: Scuba Dive at uShaka Marine World. PADI 5 Star Instructor Development Center.
• Skydive Durban: Pietermaritzburg Airport. Take a 25 minute plane ride, then 35 seconds of freefalling before the parchute opens, then a post-jump barbeque.
• Suncoast Casino: Suncoast Boulevard, Marine Parade.
• Shark Institute: Take a boat to see the shark nets that protect beachcombers from shark attack.
Most of Durban's nightlife options is centred on the docks area, along the Golden Mile, and in suburbs such as Morningside and Westville. Durban has a lively arts scene, which reflects the city's cultural diversity - it offers a rich choice of African, Indian and western entertainment.
Bars and clubs in Durban
I. Jackie Horner Tavern: Esther Roberts Rd, Durban. Tel: +27 31 202 9192
II. Caffe Pronto: Old Main Rd, Kloof. Tel: +27 83 277 2802
III. WaTcHiM Secure Gates & Bars: 1304 Bluff Rd, Durban. Tel: +27 82 513 0367
IV. Barsequipped Mobile Bars: E 318 Ntuzuma, Kwa-Mashu, Durban. Tel: +27 71 885 9231
V. Unity Bar & Brasserie: 117 Silverton Rd, Durban. Tel: +27 31 201 3470
VI. Yiroll Food C C: 303 Anton Lembede St, Durban. Tel: +27 31 304 6270
VII. Buccaneers Pub & Grill: 148 Foreshore Dr, Durban. Tel: +27 31 467 0887
VIII. Waxy O Connors Irish Pub: 124 Jan Hofmeyer Road , Westville. Tel: +27-31- 266 2565
IX. Club Zoom In The Basement: 226 Stamfordhill Rd. DURBAN. Tel: 0731560704
X. Billy the Bum's: Windermere Road, Morningside. Tel: (031) 303 1988.
XI. Joe Cool's: Lower Marine Parade. Tel: (031) 332 9697.
XII. Casablanca: Florida Road. Tel: (082) 447 1283.
XIII. Rainbow Restaurant and Jazz Club: Stanfield Lane, Pinetown. Tel: (031) 702 9161.